Sabbatical Log: November 14thPosted: 2018/11/22 Filed under: code Comments Off on Sabbatical Log: November 14th
This blog series is running about a week behind my actual work, giving me time to clean things up. The date the actual work was done is in the title, horizontal lines indicate when I stopped writing and started coding.
Having lots of trees has revealed an issue
Collision detection is taking up tooooons of time…
But only in DEBUG builds.
Given that I only have 3 #if DEBUG’s in the code, I’m expecting to find something interesting as the root cause. Time to break out a proper profiler.
Turns out, it’s a combination of not optimizing away a property access and an on demand creation of a 0-value FixedPoint.
RELEASE builds are smart enough to remove it, DEBUG builds pay the price. So I’m burning ~70% of CPU on comparing a number to zero, which is a professional first for me.
Removing the property access, and pre-calculating zero values gets me into the 30-50 FPS range in DEBUG builds – better but not good enough. Putting an IsZero field on FixedPoint (calculated at construction time) gets me the extra 10 frames back.
From one point of view this is somewhat wasted, RELEASE builds are the “true” builds and they never exhibited this problem. However, I feel the DEBUG experience is very important as I’m using this as a learning tool – so RELEASE builds are rare. It’s the same reason I’ve added hot reloading everywhere, not important for the final product but incredibly important for the development experience.
I’m going to spend a little more time doing some performance cleanup, and then move onto the proper task for today: actions upon collision.
I’ve refactored collision detection so now an event is triggered, rather than there being a hard coded bounce effect. I’ve only got two events at the moment: bounce, and do nothing.
I originally attempted to trigger systems instead of events (so there’d be a TriangleSystem, a SquareSystem, etc.) but that quickly got messy as everywhere else assumes ASystems run once an update. Furthermore, I think I’m going to impose considerable limits on what can be done in a collision trigger – forbidding things like changing hitmaps while collisions are still resolving. Having Systems with and without those limitations feels wrong, so a new concept is necessary.
I’m going to spend some more time with a profiler on collisions, since I’m refactoring anyway. I think it’s probably time to clean up some pointless enumeration that’s happen as well, since I’m looking at performance.
It seems likely I’ll have to push the first graphic parts of “respond to a collision” to tomorrow – we’ll see.